Friday 15 April 2011

Have you thanked a volunteer today?

I’m helping out at the Young Alberta Book Society’s book drive tomorrow. Basically, I’ll be sorting books into categories – fiction, non-fiction, comics. I hope I get to flip through a lot of comics.

At the end of the month, the books will be sold for $1 or $2 at the Canwest Raise-a-Reader annual sale. The money from that sale is divided between 6 charities
including the Young Alberta Book Society, the organization that puts on the Martyn Godfrey Young Writers' Award. (How’s your story coming? Remember, the deadline is May 6!)

Coach Taylor asked me to help out as part of the school’s Volunteer Day activities. He says it’s one way to show appreciation for the people in our lives who help out and give of their time so that others can benefit.

Like Coach Taylor, for one.

I tried out for the track team because of his encouragement.

He’s always pushing me to do my best, and just when I think I can’t push myself anymore, he says four magical words: You can do it.

And I can!

I’ve got a lot of people in my corner – like Coach Taylor, my Grandma and my Grandpa. I could probably go on and on, but I’m working on my short story and then heading out for a run.

Who are the people you’re thankful for?

Have you thanked a volunteer today?

Catch me if you can. Later….

- Chase Superman Duffy

No comments:

Post a Comment