Monday 16 May 2011

Me, DIET? Yikes!

I’m usually ready for my school Track and Field Day.  By the time we line up for the 100-metre dash, I’ve practiced a thousand times. Gone over my strategy. Worn in my new track shoes.

But I was so focused on my short story for the Martyn Godfrey Young Writers’ Award this year, the day kind of…snuck up on me.

Don’t get me wrong. I aced the 100-metre dash, and scored a personal best on the long jump. I just kind of…faltered…on the longer runs.

Not cool.

Now that the snow has melted, Grandpa will be out in his canola field – my usual practice grounds.  He’ll put me to work, too, which means I’ll be toning some of the muscles that have been mostly inactive throughout the winter.

I think it’s more than that, though.

I’ve been chowing down on Grandma’s home cooking – she’s the best bakers in the world! – but I haven’t been doing much to balance what I’ve been eating. It’s not like I need to go on a DIET.

Maybe I just need to ask Grandma to back off the chocolate zucchini loaf for a bit?

That’s a very scary thought.

Gotta jet.

- Chase Superman Duffy


PS - The deadline for the Martyn Godfrey Young Writers' Award may have passed, but there's STILL time to register for WordsWorth, the camp for youth who believe in the power of words.

No comments:

Post a Comment