Friday 26 August 2011

Hand things in ON TIME and other school goals

I can’t believe summer is almost over. Despite the rain, I had a great couple of months. Camping with my family, two Jet Engine Funny Car races with Grandpa, carnival rides at the Fringe Festival with Mom, hanging out at my grandparents’ canola farm – and of course, plenty of running.

But next week I’ll be starting Grade 8, which means the end of vacation.

Grade 8.

Mom says she can hardly believe it.

In two more years, I’ll start high school. Dad thinks I should already have an idea of what I want to be “when I grow up.” Maybe he’s right. It’s just…I keep changing my mind.

Although I didn’t win the Martyn Godfrey Young Writers’ Contest, I loved writing that short story. Grandma thinks this means I should be a journalist.

I LOVE to run. Especially alongside Grandpa’s canola fields. And Coach Taylor says my legs can “really move” – but am I fast enough to make a living as a track and field professional?

Of course, Grandpa would love for me to be a canola farmer.

Not to mention all of the other cool jobs out there…

There’s a whole lot of options to consider. I’m not going to let it pressure me, though. This school year, I’m going to focus on my homework and making the track team. I’ve been practicing, but who knows whether "Lightning" or the red-haired kid have been as well?  Or maybe there will be someone new at the school...

Mom says I've set some good goals, but she suggested one other: Hand things in ON TIME.

Oy.

I always do the work. I just sometimes forget to…hand it in.

How about you? Any school goals for this year?

Gotta jet – the sun is shining and there isn’t much of summer left. Have a great day.

- Chase Superman Duffy


No comments:

Post a Comment