Friday 17 February 2012

If I were a zombie, I'd rather eat your brains


I know Valentine’s Day was on Tuesday, but I had to show you the funny cards Sophie gave out. Kind of fitting since we’re learning about “brains” in health class, don’t you think?

Turns out, my brain should be in pretty good shape – maybe even too good for zombies!

Teach says there’s three key components to brain health: learn new skills; exercise your heart, and eat a brain-healthy diet.

The first part is easy. Every day I apply myself at school, I’m learning something new, and making my brain work. Use it or lose it, Grandpa says – he’s always exercising his brain by problem solving, trying new things, or well, beating me at chess. Good thing I’m awesome at checkers!

Exercising my heart? No problem! I train all the time for the track team. Coach says 30 minutes of heart-pumping exercise three times a week gets your oxygen flowing to your brain and keeps it active. My brain must be like a jumping jelly bean.

And of course, I know all about proper nutrition. In fact, I learned that some of the same foods that are good for your heart – like salmon, blueberries, and canola oil – are also good for your brain.

Same goes for foods high in Omega 3 and Vitamin D. Eggs and avocados, for instance, contain nutrients that improve your memory. Whole grains and broccoli have lots of vitamins and fiber to improve blood flow. And dark chocolate – yes, more chocolate! – improves your concentration and focus.

Huh… Sophie gave everyone in class cookies made with real dark chocolate. Maybe she IS a zombie after all.

Gotta jet!

-       Chase Superman Duffy

No comments:

Post a Comment