Friday 24 February 2012

Leaping into March


Can you believe it’s almost March? I thought Spring might be right around the corner, too, but Mr. Winter decided to blow through one last (I hope) blast of snow and cold this week. It’s kind of put a bit of a kink in my training schedule, since I’d started running outside again. I guess it’s back to the gym I go.

Because I can’t just STOP practicing.

In health class this month, I learned about how exercise and eating right is good for my heart AND my brain. It’s also key for my training.

Coach is always talking about the importance of a balanced diet, and making sure we don’t cut calories, but this week, my health teacher made things really clear for us.

The best news is that I get to eat between 500 and 1500 MORE calories than some of friends who aren’t as active. Healthy calories, of course.

Calories are turned into energy, which is the fuel that keeps me running. Like when Grandpa fills his tractor with the best kind of fuel, the food choices I make determine how much energy I’ll have for training.

The registered dietician at the school recommends we follow Canada’s Food Guide, a pyramid of food choices that includes: good carbohydrates like whole grains; fruits, and vegetables; lean protein such as low-fat meats, milk and poultry; and healthy fats such as salmon, avocados, nuts and canola oil.

I’m already eating all of that!

Now I just have to figure out how to eat more. Three balanced meals and four healthy snacks. Every day. Now that’s something to get excited about!

Gotta jet.

-       - Chase Superman Duffy

PS – Did you know it’s a Leap Year? I never really understood why we have an extra day every four years. My Science teacher explained it – the earth doesn’t orbit the sun in exactly 365 years…so that additional day realigns the calendar year so it’s in sync with the astrological or seasonal year. Cool, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment