Friday 2 March 2012

Idol with Mom…and my sports heroes


Mom and I are watching American Idol together this season. She loves those shows. Mostly I just tolerate them, but this year I have a couple favourites. I predict Colton will win the whole thing, but if America picks a girl, I think it will be Skylar. She’s great…even if she does sing country.

The judges on the show always talk about practice being so critical for success (which is what Coach Taylor says, too) but to be a star, Mom says it’s also important to have mentors – like how the judges are for the contestants.

Which got me thinking about some of my sports mentors.

Like Muhammad Ali, not just the greatest boxer to have lived, but also considered one of the greatest sportsmen of all time.

And Michael Jordan, the undisputed greatest basketball player in history.

Of course, I couldn’t forget Babe Ruth, one of the most recognized athletes in the world, not to mention one of the only sports figures to have a (delicious) chocolate bar named after him. Dad has a huge Babe Ruth poster hanging in the garage – Dad loves baseball, especially the Toronto Blue Jays.

And who could forget Wayne Gretzky? A Canadian hockey superstar – the only NHL player to total over 200 points in one season, a feat he accomplished four times. Grandpa saw him play in Edmonton, even watched him score a goal in the Stanley Cup finals. How awesome is that?

But for me, the best idol is track and field star CARL LEWIS. He won TEN Olympic medals, including NINE golds. The International Olympic Committee named Carl Lewis the greatest athlete of the 20th century.

I couldn’t agree more. And maybe, if I practice, I can be an Olympic gold medalist, too.

Yesterday was World Book Day and Mom bought me Inside Track: Autobiography of Carl Lewis. I’m about a quarter of the way through and already picking up some great tips.

Gotta jet!

-       - Chase Superman Duffy

No comments:

Post a Comment