Friday 13 April 2012

You’re a poet and you know it


Did you know that April 15 is the start of Young Poet’s Week across Canada? 

It’s part of National Poetry Month – a 14-year-long tradition of celebrating Canadian poets.



We’re learning about different types of poetry in class. I love to write short stories, so maybe I can write a poem, too? 

I’m going to start with a Haiku.

A Haiku is a traditional form of Japanese poetry, and it’s only three lines. The first and last line each have 5 syllables, and the middle line has 7. 
Think you’ll forget? Here’s an easy way to remember:
I am first with 5

Then 7 in the middle

5 again to end
Easy, right? How about you try with me? Can you write a haiku about something to do with canola? Or maybe the colour yellow? Email your haiku to me at chase.superman.duffy@gmail.com and I’ll send you a copy of Gotta Jet, the second Chase Duffy adventure book – and, I’ll publish your haiku on this blog!
But don’t stop there. Go to www.youngpoets.ca for a list of activities you and your teacher can do to celebrate Young Poet’s Week. There will be games, poetry ideas, and even the chance to have your poem critiqued by an online mentor. Good luck!
Gotta jet – I’m starting my yellow canola haiku right now.
Chase Superman Duffy

No comments:

Post a Comment