Friday 8 March 2013

Celebrating the special women in my life


Today is International Women’s Day and although I don’t fully understand what it’s about and why we have been acknowledging it for a very, very long time (since the 1900s!), I do understand that I’m surrounded by some pretty special women.

Like, my Mom and my Grandma, my two favourite women in the whole world. I spend a lot of time at Grandma’s house, usually hanging out with Grandpa or running around his canola field for track practice. But there’s nothing I love more than heading inside for one of Grandma’s special baked goodies. 

If it wasn’t for Grandma, I wouldn’t know as much about healthy eating as I do – with Grandpa having diabetes, she has to be careful about what she cooks. She cuts back on sweets, too. All of this is great for my training. Plus, she taught me how to make delicious smoothies!

Grandma also taught me about responsibility. I help Grandpa with the chores around the farm, and I’m pretty good at doing dishes, too. I don’t like it much, but Grandma says it’s polite and responsible to help out. I never complain – which is why I usually get a chocolate chip cookie after dinner.

Then there’s Mom. She’s awesome. I know, everyone thinks their Mom is the best, but mine really is. She never forgets to pack my lunch, and sometimes leaves me little notes reminding me that she loves me. Plus, she helps me with my Math homework all of the time. I’m not great at Math. My Mom is super smart. She has a great career, and her staff members say she treats them like gold. I don’t doubt it! I think it’s amazing how Mom can work full time, take care of my sister and I, and still have time to do some of the things she loves – like exercising or hanging out with friends, or even going on “date nights” with Dad.

My teacher, Mrs. Kratky, says that my Mom is an example of how much the role of women has changed in society. In the old days, women mostly stayed home, and didn’t work. They cooked and cleaned – kind of boring, if you ask me. But now there are women Prime Ministers, astronauts, and professionals working in all kinds of careers, even the trades. But Mrs. Kratky says society unfortunately still has a long way to go before women are treated truly equal to men.

I don’t know what’s wrong with society because in my mind, my Mom and Grandpa are invaluable. This weekend, I’m going to make the special ladies in my life a great breakfast to show them how much I love them.

What are you going to do?

Gotta jet!

- Chase Superman Duffy

No comments:

Post a Comment