Friday 15 March 2013

My life on Earth


I don’t know what ‘s up with the weather where you live, but in my area, Old Man Winter is blasting us with one last blizzard of the white stuff. Well, I hope it’s the last one, but this is Alberta, and anything can happen. One year, we had snow in JUNE. Talk about spinning the Earth upside down!

Speaking of Earth, there’s a whole lot of stuff going on next week in celebration of our planet, starting with National Agriculture Day, March 19. It’s no secret my Grandpa’s a canola producer. Even though the ground is frozen and he’s a long way from planting seeds, there’s always work to do on the farm. Maybe take a minute next Tuesday to appreciate a food producer you know – I know I’ll be thanking my grandparents.

March 20 is Earth Day, and on Friday, it’s World Day for Water. I guess we’re pretty lucky to live on a planet that even has water – though my Grandpa says so much is wasted. Sometimes we take things for granted, which is why during Earth Hour on March 23, I’ll be turning off my computer, the lights, and everything else that uses power from 8:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.

In the meantime, I plan on using this new snow to my advantage. It’s almost the end of snowshoeing season and since it’s my new favourite sport (next to track and field, of course), I want to get in as much as I can before the green turns green. Mind you…the way the weather looks right now, that might not happen for a long time.

Gotta jet!

- Chase Superman Duffy

No comments:

Post a Comment