Wednesday 17 April 2013

O is for Jesse Owens


I'm super excited to be testing my blogging stamina by taking part in the A-Z Blogging Challenge. Started by the awesome Arlee Bird, the challenge is to write a post every day of the month (except Sundays) based on the appropriate letter for the day. Sound confusing? Stick with me throughout April and you'll get it. My theme is: Things that inspire me.
*   *   *


I have a lot of track and field idols, but Jessie Owens – otherwise known as “The Buckeye Bullet” has to be one of my favourites.

In high school, he won three track and field events, surprising even his coach. He quickly made a name for himself as a sprinter, setting records in the 100 and 200-yard dashes. The 200-yard dash is my best event!

 When I get to high school, I want to be just like Jesse Owens – I might even try the long jump, because in University, he broke the world long jump record, and no one beat it for 25 years. Isn’t that amazing?

In 1936 (I know, a long time ago), Jesse won four gold medals at the Berlin Olympics. He was incredible! He’s definitely one of my track and field idols.

What do you want to be when you grow up? Who is your idol?

Gotta jet!

- Chase Superman Duffy

P.S. "O" is also for the Olympics - which someday I hope to compete in.

1 comment:

  1. Jesse Owens is a legend! Glad his legacy means so much to you.

    ReplyDelete