Friday 17 May 2013

A picture is worth a thousand words



You’ll never guess what I’m doing this long weekend? Go ahead. Try.

Ha! Okay, okay, I’ll spill – I can’t hold it in any longer anyway. Dad and I are taking a PHOTOGRAPHY class. Isn’t that great?!

At this time of year, there are lots of things to take pictures of – like blooming flowers (tulips and daffodils for Mom), the turning leaves (so much green!), bugs, birds and bees. Wahoo!

It’s perfect because our family has had this giant, professional-looking camera around the house forever. Mom says it’s about time someone learned how to use it. So, Dad and I are taking on the challenge – photography and learning to share who will get that camera and when...

I know, it seems like I have a whole bunch of hobbies – running, writing, reading, helping Grandpa with chores around the farm, etc. – but I think it’s great to have so many things to keep me active and busy. All of these ‘doings’ give me ideas of what I can talk about with adults – most of them would not understand the characters of the video games I play…

Plus! My Language Arts teacher says pictures can be perfect story starters. Kind of like that cliché “a picture is worth a thousand words.” In fact, I’m going to try that. Every week, I’ll choose one of the pictures I take in photography class and write 1,000 words about it. Who knows, maybe I’ll write a whole short story from just one image.

But, um, I’m going to need a little practice first. So far, all of my photographs have been a little blurry. Grandpa says that’s “art” but I think he’s just trying to make me feel better. It’s okay. By the time his bright yellow canola fields are in full bloom this summer, I’ll be a pro – or something. Ha Ha.

Hey! I bet I could enlarge one of my canola field pictures and frame it for my grandparents – maybe even give it to them as a Christmas gift. Now that’s thinking smart.

Gotta jet! Have a GREAT long weekend.

- Chase Superman Duffy

No comments:

Post a Comment