Friday 18 October 2013

Tis the Season...


...for pumpkin carving, of course!

Let me tell you, I’ve carved a lot of pumpkins in my short thirteen years. It’s not just an annual tradition in our house – we sometimes carve two or three pumpkins each. And not even because we’re picky…well, maybe a little because we’re picky. (At least I am.) We just really love carving pumpkins.

Tonight, we’ll head to a local pumpkin patch to each select the perfect canvass. I prefer the tall and skinny pumpkins, but my sister likes the short, fat ones. Dad always goes for quirky, and last year, Mom bought a pink one in support of breast cancer. She gave it a pig face. Ha ha.

Next to the actual carving, my favourite part is scooping the goop. I love how the guts squish between my fingers and turn my skin orange. Mom goes through every bit of the pumpkin innards to collect the seeds – which of course, we season with garlic powder or Italian spice and throw in a 350°F oven for about 10 minutes of roasting. Delicious!

Next, we draw out the faces or design with dry erase pens. I try to keep mine secret until the very end, but sometimes I get so excited I can’t help it. Last year, I did a pirate face, and my sister Amelia carved a witch. That was kind of funny, because Dad was helping her with the knife, and he was focusing really hard when all of a sudden the doorbell went and he jumped. Dad almost cut off the witch’s WHOLE nose.

I don’t know what to carve this year. I think I’m going to wait until I pick my pumpkin – or maybe I`ll try to carve a squash, a large potato, or... Maybe something will inspire me.

What are YOU carving this year?

Gotta jet!

- Chase Superman Duffy

No comments:

Post a Comment