Friday 20 December 2013

A fun-filled week of tradition

This is one of my favourite weeks of the year – the week leading up to Christmas.

We have a whole bunch of family traditions over the holidays, starting this weekend with the annual Gingerbread House extravaganza. Mom and I will cook up some delicious gingerbread, while Dad and my sister, Amelia head to the candy store for the accessories. We’ll also use some of our left-over Halloween candy, like the suckers and lifesavers. Last year, we built a castle. I wonder what Dad has in mind this time.

On Sunday, Mom and Grandma will make Ginger Snaps (they’re called Bettys Gingersnaps on canolainfo.org) and Nanaimo Bars – two of my favourites. Plus, Mom does a cookie exchange with some of the ladies from her work. Baked goods aplenty! My tummy is already rumbling.

Monday night, we’ll all drive around the neighbourhood looking at Christmas lights. There’s one house around the corner that does such a great job they should be on the news. I love seeing all of that brilliance.

Of course, we’ll be delivering Santa’s Anonymous gifts on Christmas Eve, and then watching The Grinch Who Stole Christmas. Sometimes we play Whovilleopoly or some other board game. And before bed, we take turns reading from a book, usually a great Christmas story.

Then it’s Christmas morning! Mom makes a delicious pancake breakfast. Afterwards, we go skating (if it’s not too cold), and then head over to my grandparents house for turkey dinner. This year, I’m learning how to make the stuffing. I can hardly wait.

Yep. It’s definitely the most wonderful time of the year. I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year.

Gotta jet!

- Chase Superman Duffy


PS – It’s a busy week, but I’m putting the finishing touches on my story for the comic contest. I can’t wait to submit it on December 31. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment