Friday 13 December 2013

Giving back over the holidays

I’m still too young to volunteer at the Santa’s Anonymous warehouse in the city, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t some other ways I can spread the holiday spirit. 

Dad and I are already planning to join the Santa’s Anonymous delivery team, taking wrapped gifts to dozens of kids across the city. It’s a great way for the family to spend some time together on Christmas Eve – not to mention indulge in a yummy mug of hot chocolate while we navigate the roads.

But, Christmas isn’t all about the presents – it’s about SO much more. So I’ve brainstormed five cool ideas of ways I can “give back” this holiday season.

1. Donate some of the clothes I’ve outgrown, especially warm jackets, mittens, toques, and other warm essentials. There are drop boxes all around the province. You can find one near you. You don’t want all of that stuff cluttering up your closet anyway, do you?

2. Shovel snow for a neighbour! A great way to do a good deed AND work in some exercise. Don’t forget to bundle up, though. Brrr.

3. Help pick up trash at a local park or along your street. All that snowfall is beautiful, but it loses some of its sparkle when there’s garbage everywhere. Fill a bag or two and I bet you’ll see a HUGE difference. (Wear bright clothes and stay off the main streets – safety first!)

4. Create a Facebook or Twitter site for a local non-profit group to spread the word about ongoing needs, or retweet status updates. (Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr and Twitter!)

5. Gather up gently used books, magazines and movies and donate them to a local children’s hospital. I’ve got a big box of my favourites ready to go.

Cool stuff, right? Go ahead and copy me – the more “giving back” the merrier! And please, share YOUR ideas. 

Gotta jet! I’m working on my comic some more this weekend. Things are starting to really come together. Which is good, because the deadline is just around the corner! Have a great week.

- Chase Superman Duffy

No comments:

Post a Comment