Thursday 3 April 2014

C is for Characters

Hey! Follow me this month as I work through the alphabet of great writing tips, from creating ACTION to getting into the ZONE. Then, go here to see who else is taking part in the 2014 A to Z Blogging Challenge.

*      *      *

Sure, I love books with a lot of action, but it’s the CHARACTERS that make the difference in whether I’ll remember the story after “The End.”

Think of some of your favourite characters from fiction. What makes them memorable?

Remember the White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland and how he was always late even though he carried a stop watch? Or, what about the Mad Hatter and his many, many hats. Harry Potter has a lightning scar on his forehead. Superman wears a cape and can leap tall buildings in a single bound. And, don’t even get me started about The Hulk or Spiderman! These are some of MY favourite characters.

But what about creating some for my stories? How much should I know about them? What details are important besides eye colour and age? A writer once gave me a template to work from.

Here are 10 questions to get you started:

1. What is your character’s name?
2. What colour is your character’s hair?
3. What colour are your character’s eyes?
4. Where is your character from?
5. What is the most unique characteristic of your character?
6. Does your character have brothers and sisters? How many?
7. What is the one thing your character wants the most?
8. What is your character’s favourite food?
9. What kinds of hobbies does your character have?
10. What is the last book your character read?

Once you start asking your character these questions, you’ll just keep going! It’s amazing how much you can imagine when you’re creating a new character. Good luck!

Gotta jet! But stick around — tomorrow will be D-elightful. <teehee>

Chase Superman Duffy


P.S. – “C” is also for CLIFFHANGER…you know, something that happens in the story that MAKES you turn the page? On page 18 of IT’S A BLAST!, the third book in the Chase “Superman” Duffy comic books, I find a CROP CIRCLE near my Grandpa’s CANOLA field (look at all the “C” words) and you have to turn the page to find out why…it’s a CLIFFHANGER. You can get a copy by contacting www.learncanola.com.


2 comments:

  1. Building my characters is my favorite part of the story process! (visiting from http://birdcagefreelance.blogspot.com for A to Z Challenge)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by, Heather! It's one of my favourite parts of the process, too.

    ReplyDelete