Friday 9 February 2018

Making Dog Treats—For Real!

I don’t have a dog.

I WANT a dog (I know, I've been saying that for years), but pets don’t really fit into our lifestyle. My sister and I are involved in a lot of activities, and my parents are both working professionals, which mean we’re not always around to take care of a dog.

At least, that’s what I keep telling myself so I don’t have to think about not having a dog.

BUT, International Dog Biscuit Day is coming u on Feb 23, and since it's so cold outside, I’ve decided to make treats for some of my favourite dogs. Like, my friend Sophie’s poodle. She’s really cute. The poodle, I mean…

I bet you didn’t know how easy dog biscuits can be to make, did you? Well, I thought I’d share the recipe from my Grandma’s family cookbook so that you can make treats for all of the dogs in your life, too!

What you need:
2 cups              whole wheat flour                        500 mL
½ cup               wheat germ                                 125 mL
¼ cup               skim milk powder                         50 mL
                         pinch of salt
½ cup               no-salt chicken stock or water    125 mL
¼ cup               canola oil                                     50 mL
1 Tbsp              molasses or honey                      15 mL
1                       egg                                              1

What you do:

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
  2. In a large bowl, measure and combine the flour, wheat germ, skim milk powder, and salt.
  3. In a small bowl, stir together stock or water, canola oil, molasses or honey, and egg.
  4. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until well blended.
  5. Spread a small amount of flour on a clean counter.
  6. Turn dough onto the floured surface. Knead the dough a couple of times.
  7. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough ¼- ½ inch (0.5-1 cm) thick.
  8. Cut the dough into bone shapes with a cookie cutter or knife.
  9. Transfer cookie shapes to an ungreased cookie sheet.
  10. Using a fork, prick each cookie several times.
  11. Bake for 20 minutes, depending on the size and thickness of the cookies, until pale golden and firm.
  12. Turn the oven off, but leave the “bones” inside for a few hours to harden as they cool.
  13. Store in a tightly-sealed container.

Easy right?

I can’t wait to take over a batch for Sophie’s dog.  Gotta jet! Stay warm this weekend. Brrrr.

~ Chase Superman Duffy

No comments:

Post a Comment